Monday, August 11, 2014

How Can I Prepare Now To Be A Righteous Wife And Mother?: Part Two

My momma - 1983
I love this lesson so much.  August is my favorite month in the Come Follow Me manual.  To see my post for this lesson from last year, please click below:


This year I'm taking a different approach.  My main focus will be on the talk given by Elder L. Whitney Clayton - MARRIAGE: WATCH AND LEARN.
In it he states:

We can learn so much by watching and then considering what we have seen and felt. In that spirit, let me share with you a few principles I have observed by watching and learning from wonderful, faithful marriages.

I tried to ponder who in my life I have "watched and learned" from as wonderful examples of strong marriages.  There are my terrific parents, of course, who I owe so much to for always raising a peaceful, loving home.  There are also my grandparents.  I have never in my life witnessed a more enamored couple in love.  Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth, Romeo and Juliet, they've got NOTHING on my grandparents.  They are two souls with hearts intwined by an unbreakable connection of tenderness, selflessness, and celestial joy.


Taking sections from Elder Clayton's talk, I interviewed my grandparents and asked how these principles have helped build their relationship in their marriage.  Since they live eight hours away, I edited a video mixed with the general conference talk to share during class.  I'll assign each YW a principle from the talk and pause between each section to allow the girls to discuss what they read and what they learned from it.  I'm also made a version of the video (without my grandparents) HERE for people to use in their lessons.  You can choose a guest couple to come to class and interview them during your lesson, pausing between each section of the video...


Here are a few quotes from Mary N. Cook's Talk 



My challenge for the girls this week is to work on completing Good Works Value Experience #2 in their personal progress.
Service is an essential principle of family living. Help plan your family’s menus, obtain the food, and prepare part of the meals for two weeks. During that time help your family gather to share mealtimes. Report to your class what you have learned.

As motivation, I want to hand out at the end of class a meal time starter kit.  If they don't have two weeks to work on their Personal Progress at least they can plan one fun meal this week to surprise their families.  Their kit includes a meal chart, recipe ideas, and little candle lights for extra fanciness.... because everyone knows twinkling lights makes everything fancy ;)


I picked out a few recipes from Chef in Training and made notecard sized handouts to go with their kit below.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...