Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Isley's Baptism

My sweet little niece recently turned eight years old and made the decision to get baptized.  You know how most baptisms have that awkward 10 minutes right after the baptism ordinance is performed where the audience tries to think of something to do to kill time while the kid is changing in the bathroom?  And everyone usually ends up singing lots of primary songs?

I asked Isley if she wanted me to interview her and make a little baptism video that could be playing for everyone while they waited for her to change and she was all about it.  She ended up getting baptized the same day as her best friend, so we made it a video of both of them.  We met at the temple and just had fun walking around taking pictures.


Then I was honored when she asked me to speak on The Holy Ghost at her baptism.

I made the girls think about the best Christmas or Birthday gift they ever received.  I told them about how when I was their age I got a Princess Wishing Star for Christmas.  Does anyone else remember these??  (Starts at 00:15)


Then I told them how today they get to receive one of the GREATEST gifts they'll ever get in their lives ... Better than 500 Princess Wishing Stars!!!  They'll receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Unlike Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, who have glorified bodies of flesh and bones, the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit who communicates to our spirits through feelings and impressions.


He can be your best friend.  Think of all the traits it takes to be a best friend.  It's someone who...
Helps you be a better person,
comforts you when you're sad,
helps you be brave when you're scared, 
tells you, "Ummmm, you probably shouldn't do that" when you're about to get into trouble.
The Holy Ghost does all of these exact things!!!

He is one of my best friends.  He has comforted me when I have been very, very sad.  He has helped me find courage at times when I was afraid.  He has protected me and led me out of dangerous situations.  He makes me smile, because I'm happy and uplifted when I feel His presence.  It is because of Him that I know I am a daughter of God who has a Heavenly Father who loves me.  I can feel the love of my Savior and so much more because I have the Holy Ghost in my life.  I am so grateful for Him!

I ended by giving the girls little gifts to remind them of the real gift they were receiving that day.  They got some cozy socks and cozy gloves to remind them of the comfort that the Holy Ghost can bring them.


He is the comforter.  As the soothing voice of a loving parent can quiet a crying child, the whisperings of the spirit can calm your fears, hush the nagging worries of your life, and comfort you when you grieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...